Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Project: Car Stereo Boombox

Music is important to me.  Therefore, stereo equipment is important to me.

The problem is that decent equipment is expensive.  A Sony boombox costs $300 in the Cancha.  I prefer old components, picked up second-hand for cheap, but that's almost unheard of here in Bolivia.  So what's a guy to do?  I've been pushing music through the little practice amp I have for my electric bass, but it's not worth much.

At the end of last year, I used some birthday money to buy an $80 Pioneer car audio kit from Walmart.com.  The plan was to put it into a vehicle that we hoped to purchase.  Similar setups start at $120 here, and my mother-in-law could bring it when she came to visit us in January, so I took advantage of a sale. 

Due to a variety of factors (mostly just sheer busyness), we still don't have a vehicle.  I recently got some 9/16" plywood from a friend.  So why not build a stereo?

I purchased an ATX power supply (for a desktop computer) to use as a 12v power source, for $20.  Other than screws and connectors, that's the only added cost, so I'm into it only $100.

Because it's temporary and intended mostly for shop/outdoor use, I chose not to finish/paint it.

It sounds better than it looks and has more than enough power to fill my shop space and yard:


Have a look at the "guts" of it:







Not bad for $100.

No comments:

Post a Comment