Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Junior Tinkers: Helping Dad

I lament the day when my daughters see "helping dad" as work, rather than a privilege.

I know the day will most likely come, so I need to make the most of their joy now.  It's not always easy: to put it plainly, they are small, slow people that are, more often than not, in the way.  It takes a lot of patience to allow them to be a part of my projects, and I often struggle to have a good attitude.  But if I want them to be involved in my life and vice versa, I must grow in it!

It's a lot easier if I intentionally seek out jobs that they can help with.

This past week, God gave me a perfect opportunity.  It's rainy season here now, which makes quite a mess of the dirt and rock roads that surround us.  After a couple years of riding with taxi drivers who dance around puddles for fear of getting their cars dirty, I have been eager to go splashing again!


Of course, we can't leave it like that all the time.  So I bought the girls some new fleecy orange rags and broke out the soap and water:


They loved spraying it with the hose and rubbing it down, although Lydia spent more time playing in the bucket and trying to wash Biscuit than actually working on the car.  They were having so much fun, they didn't even blink when I offered them 3Bs each (about 50 cents) for the help.

No comments:

Post a Comment